After all the cutting out was done, the fun of sewing up could begin but it wasn't all fun, the machine decided to play up. It's been cleaned, and cleaned again and before I start the next sewing session, I'll put in a new needle. After all that, it should be purring like a kitten.
Despite the hold up, I did get the blocks sewn up into pairs. I went with a light/dark combination. I have some dark squares leftover, but will combine them with the spare shirt if necessary. First, these will all have to be sewn into four square blocks, that's when we'll really begin to see what the quilt will look like.